Promoted as Assistant Director in 2002, reporting to the Group Chairman.
Value addition & Accomplishment
* Lead and grow a 1-yr old direct-marketing company using the firm’s captive 7,00,000 salesmen to market & sell a wide range of consumer products – Around 8000 SKUs were either outsourced from 3P manufacturers. Craft this as a leading business in India.
* Turnover during the 3 consecutive financial years were Rs. 540, 750 & 1100 million resp.
* After two years, launched a chain of 45 multi-city small-format stores under the brand of “Sahara Unique” in the A & B class cities for the first time India. Sahara Unique was launched as a test before the retail initiative of the Group assumed larger business relevance. Setting up 39 outlets in just one year.
* Designing the entire Retail Business for the Group, from a scratch-pad. Designed larger branded environments as ‘Sahara Mall’, 3,00,000 sqft. and the ‘Ganj Mall’, 4,00,000 sqft. Planned further Retail expansion designed under the ‘City Homes’ Township project to create a total retail space of around 40 – 50 million sqft in two phases over 5 years. In support, this SBU created the blueprint of integrated ‘Food Parks’ to act as the supply chain for the City Homes. This included: - Pure Drinking Water, Dairy Products, Organic Farm Produce, Poultry Products, Bakery Products, Aquaculture Products, Processed Food.
* As Head of Business, and the initiator of the retail business, was responsible for the overall P&L of the business and for guiding teams on: - Concept design, Product & Packaging design, Supply chain functions, Equipment suppliers, IT implementation, Environmental & Occupational Health, Consumer value mechanisms. Developed in-house Point of Sale Software named ‘Unique-POS’.